Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Stashing emergency necessities

I recently bought new luggage that I am in love with. I didn't buy the entire set because I don't like the idea of having to pay for checked bags on a flight, so I bought both of the carryon sizes with the understanding I'm happier when I travel ultra-light.

I used to pack for every possible need, but after lugging too much stuff to both Florida and to our family's lake house, I got tired of carrying around useless dead weight. Also, I have family members who subject me to many cruel jokes about how obsessive I am about packing. (Note: I have OCD about packing -- insecurity causes it. I know this, so I don't need patronizing reminders that stop the minute you realize I have something you need. *grin*). Until, of course, they realize they didn't pack either toothpaste or a toothbrush for their child, and then expect me to have those items for their use. Or another one realizes she forgot her pajamas and asks for a set from me.

I don't take two sets of pjs on an overnight trip. Maybe that seems gross, but I do take soap to wash clothes with.

When I didn't have sleepwear for her she requested that I just give her a clean set of my clothes to sleep in, which would leave me with no clean clothes the next day. I am still at a loss as to why she thought I should sacrifice my change of clothes so that she would have sleepwear..... I told her to wear her own clothes. She threatened to sleep naked.

She's my sister so I told her to go for it. I don't know if she slept naked or not. I put my earplugs in and I went to sleep in my bed.

I learned several years ago from an avid camper that keeping a packing list of all the things needed for every trip was a real time saver. Applied to my own travel needs, a packing list became a priceless resource.

A packing list keeps me from throwing in unnecessary things "just in case". I can't remember a time when I actually used any of those impulse items, so they were just more dead weight in my bags. *sigh*

I remember a time when I was invited to go on a weekend trip rather brusquely by my sister. She gave me only 15 minutes to pack, thinking she could upset me by doing so. I was packed in 10. Lol. She was annoyed that I was prepared. The packing list saved me all that time, plus having my travel gear stashed together helped.



No comments:

Post a Comment