Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Toilet paper in a strange land


I realized when we were in Mexico that public bathrooms may not have toilet paper. Sometimes business owners hold on to it for paying customers only and you have to request it when you use their bathroom. (I understand that. Tourists, especially Americans, can be obnoxious when they think they are entitled to special treatment, and I'll bet they feel free to use as much toilet paper as they want in someone else's bathroom.) The first place I used the bathroom in Mexico was pretty nasty, but I bought a bottled Sprite before I asked permission to use their facility. I was thirsty anyway!

For the older folks in our group, this was a real culture shock to them, and they weren't happy to have to ask for toilet paper.

I know many people go to great lengths to find special, expensive rolls of travel toilet paper to carry around with them, but I realized that was overkill.

All I really needed to bring with me was a few pocket packs of tissues. I didn't need to carry more than one pack with me at a time, and if I started running low, I could always tuck another pack into my purse or pocket without worrying about much bulk.

Added bonus- the packaging keeps the tissues clean and tidy when tossed in with other stuff.

I wound up using more than expected because a few of us in our travel party were dealing with colds and allergies. I can't deny a sweet boy a few tissues for his runny nose, can I?

Special note: my all-time favorite over the counter cold and sinus medicine is Aleve D Cold and Sinus. It works on whatever sinus type problem I'm having, lasts 12 hours, and doesn't make me drowsy at all. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment